Tuesday, April 06, 2010

The roads have been dry and dusty and it appeared that we were in a full scale melt of the remaining snow. This is probably still true, but not for the first half of today. I woke up to 33 degree temps and about 2 inches of wet snow everywhere. That snow will probably be gone by the end of the day, but it stands as an extended palm to Anchorage's burgeoning spring excitement. There is still 4-5 weeks left of high snow probability.

...


Driving down the Seward highway toward the bike shop on Saturday, I felt a piece of gravel ping off my shield. That is an Alaskan winter tradition to be sure. I had a few small chips in my windshield already, but no cracks. I chalked this up largely to avoiding the Glenn Highway on my daily commutes. Well, on my drive to work Monday morning my defroster found the little Saturday gravel ping and spawned a 10 inch crack across the bottom of my windshield.

I'm getting more Alaskan by the minute.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Welcome to the club, my dear! :o) You're lucky to have been without cracks this long (almost 2 years since you moved up)...in fact, that might be a record!

LAtravel80 said...

I've been doing the math in my head and I do not think that I could with stand a AK winter (mentally). You are stronger than I friends.

Chris said...

If you can hang with a Wisconsin winter, Alaska will not be a problem. Honest!