Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I fought the clock and the clock won


Stage 2 of the Tour Da Chicago was this past weekend and it was a time trial -- exactly the kind of stage that I enjoy, though not necessarily the type that miraculuously catapults me to the podium. I pretty much placed in the same rankings as last race but did pass a few people on the way, so I was happy. Also, since nobody went to the hospital or crashed it was a lot better than the first stage. The race consisted of 3 sprints -- yojimbo's to buckingham fountain, the fountain to 5457 S. Blackstone in hyde park, and then back to yojimbo's. You got a 10 minute rest at each stop and then were sent off again in 20 second increments. It was run smoothly and there even were bananas and orange juice/coffee at the hyde park stop. The tour is really being run well this year (not that it was ever run poorly). It still starts on punk rock time but aside from that its about as slick as one could hope. Aside from personally riding well and a little stronger than before I didn't realize I caught a flat until i got back to Madison 3 hours later, when the front tire was completely flat. It must have happened in the last leg but thankfully I didn't have to fix that one on the road. With the clock ticking that would have really sucked. If you look at the picture of me finishing alongside Lucy it might seem that I only have one set of clothing. Aside from a different pair of pants that seems to be true. Times are tough here in Madison...

...

I thought about some mischief while sprinting down Blackstone for my Soybean peeps, but decided to just make the clock my enemy that day. I feel that was a wise choice, even if it was not immediately as satisying as property damage would have been.

...

Picture is by Arielle again.

No comments: