Sunday, March 05, 2006

Last Monday evening my roommate and I drove up to Vilas Park for some hockey only to shockingly discover that the boards had been taken down. I know March is immediately coming but it was still supposed to be in the 20's for the next 2 weeks so I banked on some hockey for that time. Wrong -- no game on. It was very odd considering that its a fair amount of work to take the boards down. I would have been the same amount of work to wait a few weeks to take down the boards. Up north in Tomahawk they leave the boards up all year long. But on the bright side the weather is looking a little warmer and the days are a little longer so I'll be able to get some bike riding in on a regular basis soon. Nope. We just got 6+ inches of snow today so biking is on break for a week or so. I suspect this is the hockey/cycling shoulder season that I'll get used to over time. But in the end, I'm the guy that moved to Wisconsin.

...

I finally read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow by Alan Moore. This is a sad fact to admit considering its one of the greatest Superman stories of all time, probably the best. The reprints were tough to come by for a while but the new DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore trade paperback solves this problem. The story was so wonderful and beautiful and heart breaking. Completely amazing. Many people that love comics see Superman as being so iconic that he can offer nothing in the way of modern drama ala Frank Miller or Bendis. They say if you think you don't like Springsteen listen to Nebraska. Well... read this story and weep for the man of tomorrow.

1 comment:

Scott said...

How the hell did Crypo put his head in his hands. For that matter, shouldn't it be "the steel he bent with his own paws"?